The Killing of Trevon Cole by
LVMPD Detective Bryan Yant is
Today’s “Raid of The Day“
Radley Balko, senior writer and investigative reporter for the Huffington Post, has extensively covered the erosion of our civil liberties at the hands of an increasingly oppressive criminal justice system. He is currently wrapping up work on his new book “Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America’s Police Forces.”
As a prelude to the book’s publication, Balko has been featuring incidents of deadly police aggression he researched for the forthcoming book. Today, Balko took a look at the 2010 killing of Trevon Cole, by Metro’s most famous perjurer, Bryan Yant.
Due out in July, but currently available for pre-order, Rise of the Warrior Cop, will take a look at how the implementation of SWAT teams by both the Philadelphia and Los Angeles police departments marked the beginning of a deadly movement by America’s law enforcement away from the friendly public servants of the 1950s to the cops of today who have increasingly come to resemble ground troops who no longer see the American home as the sanctuary our forefathers envisioned, and no longer see themselves in partnership with the community but been conditioned to see the citizens they serve as nothing more than the enemy. The type of police force we saw going door-to-door in Boston in full combat gear searching homes without a warrant.
- What Does the Fourth Amendment Say? (freedom.answers.com)
- 13 People Who Are Dead Because Of America’s Futile War On Drugs (huffingtonpost.com)
- Radley Balko’s Raid(s) Of The Day: The CAMP Raids (politicalcrazyness.tumblr.com)
- Militarized Cops and Drug War Victims (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Why Cops Bust Down Doors of Medical Pot Growers, But Ignore Men Who Keep Naked Girls on Leashes (newsforage.com)
- Radley Balko: “Why We Need To Stop Exaggerating The Threat To Cops” (c4ss.org)